It’s culinary finger painting at its best – turning white tofu into a colorful collage of veggies. First adding pale yellow onions and garlic, then turmeric to add “egg-color” to the tofu, then a rainbow of veggies, and lastly a ginger-tamari-sesame sauce. I love this for any meal, breakfast, lunch, or dinner!
What colors would be on your canvas?
Recipe (These are suggested measurements, I tend to do this by “eye” just like true art!)
1T olive oil
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
1 onion, chopped
16 oz extra-firm tofu, crumbled by hand
Any veggies of choice, such as:
– 1 pint of cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
– 1 sweet potato, precooked, skinned, and cubed
– 1 bunch of scallions, sliced thinly
– 6oz of spinach
– 1-2 zucchini
1t sesame oil
1-2″ ginger root, peeled and minced
1t salt or to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan. Add garlic and onions and cook until onions are translucent, ~2min
- Stir in crumbled tofu and cook ~4min
- Stir in turmeric to “color” the tofu, use enough turmeric to get desired color/li>
- Continue coloring by adding veggies, starting with those that need the most time to cook (e.g. zucchini) and saving veggies like spinach until the very end. (In the case of spinach, I layer it on top of the scramble at the very end, cover with a lid for a few minutes to let the spinach wilt and then stir to combine.)
- Combine tamari, sesame and ginger into a sauce and stir into scramble. Taste and add more tamari, sesame oil, or salt as needed.
- Enjoy your masterpiece!