It is so amazingly easy to make vegan ricotta cheese from almonds and it was also raw, that is up until I baked the shells. Yum yum!
Recipe from Miyoko Schinner’s upcoming book “Say Cheese: Vegan Alternatives to Make You Smile.” I picked up a copy when she did a cooking demo at San Francisco’s 2011 VegFest. I’ve reprinted below with some changes.
4c Almond Ricotta, see below
1/4c slivered basil (I use at least 1/2c)
2 cloves garlic, minced
2T lemon juice
2T nutritional yeast
Salt and pepper to taste
2 quarts homemade or store-bought marinara sauce
1lb large pasta shells, manicotti or cannelloni, cooked according to package instructions
- In a bowl, combine ricotta, garlic, basil, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, salt, pepper – mix well.
- Preheat oven 375 degrees.
- Stuff cooked pasta with filling. Pour 1/2c of marinara into the bottom of a 13″ x 9″ baking dish. Place stuffed shells on top of sauce and pour remaining marinara sauce over shells and cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 25-30min until hot and bubbling.
Almond Ricotta (r/v)
2c almonds, soaked in water for 8-12hours
Pinch sea salt
- Remove almond skins after soaking by squeezing one almond at a time between yoru thumb and index finger.
- Blend almonds and water in blender or Vitamix until light, fluffy, and fairly creamy. It should retain some texture as opposed to perfectly smooth. Season with salt to taste and transfer to a flass container and cover.