Extremely tasty salad using one of the most nutritious gifts from earth – the dark leafy green called Kale! Make a batch and eat it as a side or even better, as your main meal – hearty enough for lunch or dinner. I love how the simplest of meals can be so delicious…..AND so good for you! I SO don’t miss my old SAD (standard american diet)!
Recipe: (serves 2)
1 bunch of kale (lacinato or dino, the flatter leaf ones work best)
1/4 red onion, sliced really thinly
1-2T oil Udo’s Choice Oil
2T Bragg’s Liquid Aminos
2T lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste
1/2-1 avocado, cubed and set aside
(optional) other salad ingredients you enjoy
- Separate kale from stem – I like to rip it off by hand, finding it very meditative. Since this the kale isn’t cooked, I remove any part of the stem that seems it will be too hard to chew, which is most of it. Place leafy parts in a large bowl and discard stems or save for other use.
- Add all other ingredients (except for the 2nd avocado) into bowl and massage together with your hands. This is important, simply tossing it doesn’t do the trick. I massage as if I’m doing laundry by hand, this allows the kale to soften so that’s it’s more edible. The avocado should lose its shape and become part of the “dressing.”
- Taste and add more condiments as desired
- Add remaining avocado and any other salad ingredients of your choosing (e.g. the heirloom tomatoes pictured above) and this time toss lightly to allow the avocado to keep its shape. I like to wait to add these ingredients until I’m ready to serve the salad.
- Enjoy knowing you are truly nourishing your body!
What most nourishes you?