So much fun slicing kale by rolling the leaves into “cigars” and then slicing into thin strips, the chiffonade technique. Even more fun was massaging the dressing into the kale with my hands as the recipe called for – very meditative and cathartic for some reason!
What’s meditative about being in the kitchen for you?
Recipe from Raw Food Made Easy For 1 or 2 People
4 kale leaves, stems removed
1.5t extra-virgin olive oil
1.5t fresh lemon juice
1/4 red bell pepper, diced
1T raw pine nuts
1T sliced black olives
Dash black pepper (optional)
- Stack 2 of the kale leaves with the stem end facing you. Fold in half lengthwise and roll tightly like a cigar. Slice crosswise into thin strips. Repeat with the remaining 2 leaves. Chop the kale strips crosswise a few times, so they aren’t too long.
- Place in a mixing bowl along with the olive oil, lemon juice, and salt. Toss well with your hands, working the dressing into the greens.
- Add the red bell pepper, pine nuts, and olives and toss gently.
- Marinate for 10 minutes at room temperature before serving.
- Season to taste with black pepper, if desired.
- Stored in a sealed container in the refrigerator, Mediterranean Kale will keep for three days. Bring to room temperature before serving.