Vegan cheeses are definitely getting better – I used “Daiya” brand and it most definitely melts.
Recipe from The Vegetarian Times
2T vegetable oil
1 small onion, chopped (3/4 cup)
2 cloves garlic, minced (about 2 tsp.)
1 jalapeño or serrano chile, minced
1/4t cumin seeds
1/8t Mexican oregano
12oz. Swiss or Rainbow chard, trimmed
8 6-inch corn tortillas
1c grated vegan cheese, Daiya brand melts well
- Heat oil in pot over medium heat. Add onion, and sauté 5 minutes, or until golden.
- Stir in garlic, chile, cumin and oregano, and sauté 2 minutes.
- Add tequila, and simmer 1 minute, or until liquid has evaporated.
- Stir in chard. Cover, reduce heat to medium low, and steam 5 minutes, or until chard wilts. Uncover, and cook 3 minutes, or until liquid has evaporated.
- Place 1 tortilla in skillet over medium heat. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup cheese. Top with 1/4 chard mixture and second tortilla. Cook 2 minutes per side, or until browned.
- Repeat with remaining ingredients. Slice into wedges; serve.